Pages

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Victories and Losses

This weekend it was supposed to be my 10 mile long run for my March 10th half marathon.  We woke up yesterday and it was snowing, hailing and raining. fun fun.  We decided to skip it and try again today.  Between prior plans and stuff we needed to get done, no one was able to meet today either.

I decided to head out today anyway for a shorter run.  Well, it ended up being only a mile.

I really wanted to try out my wireless headphones that Dave got me for Christmas.  I typically don't run with music - I ran with my Zune for several of my shorter runs when I first got into running, but I could never figure out a good system for my earbuds not falling our getting tangled.  When we decided to exchange stocking-only presents, of course Dave went out and spoiled me like crazy - this was one of my gifts.  I intially opened them and put them on and thought they were pretty uncomfortable, to be honest.  They do have several sizes of ear covers, so I played around with them to find the one that felt the best (though it certainly didn't feel good).  I talked to Dave about it today and he said if they don't end up working out for me, he'll just use them.

Once I started running, the discomfort really went away - it was barely noticeable.  It was really really nice being able to have my phone in my pocket, and not have to worry about cords and such.  I have a Windows Phone, but I'm pretty sure any smart phone that's bluetooth enabled with a radio/music player on it would work.  Dave put together a playlist for me, and off I went!  It was really nice!  I don't think I would use it on my long runs or during my half just because I typically run with friends.  Especially for this half marathon coming up - I haven't trained at all (except for my long runs) so it will be a leisurely half.

So, back to why I only ran a mile.  I have become pretty dependent on my Garmin, and unfortunately it really let me down today, and this is not the first time this has happened.  I do really like Garmin and haven't read many negative reviews, so I'm not quite sure what the problem is.  My watch will be fully charged, I will take it off the charger and it will die within 30-60 seconds.  This happened last year and we sent it in for repair and it worked great since.  I am going to be calling tomorrow to see if they can do anything for me.  If not, I may just switch to the Nike+ system because it's really expensive to have to replace a watch that's less than 2 years old!  Anyway, I was reeeeally bad at monitoring my pace and pretty sure I set a record for my fastest mile in the last 5 years (but I wouldn't know since I didn't have a timer.. haha).

We are having a new patio installed tomorrow and Tuesday and I can't wait to see how it comes out!

No comments:

Post a Comment