Pages

Friday, March 16, 2012

Lake Sammamish Half Marathon Recap

So, I have been totally absent from the blog, mostly because: I haven't been getting my runs in.

I have really been struggling to run during the week, and our last 2 long runs (were supposed to be 8-10 miles) were more like 5-6. 

Last week, leading up to the race, we found out of the 3 ladies that I was planning to run with, 1 had to have surgery, and one got really really sick.  So it was just me and my normal running buddy (I trained with her during my season with Team).  Thursday rolled around and I got sick.  I thought it was just allergies, but in the afternoon the fever and chills came.  I felt awful.  I told my RB that I was still planning on running the half, but I'd keep her updated on how I felt.  I tried to go into work on Friday and turns out no one wanted to meet with me since I was sick - so I went home and rested, really hoping that my nasal congestion wouldn't prohibit me from running.  I figured I'd at least start the race, but if I couldn't finish because I couldn't breathe, well, so be it.

I woke up Saturday morning bound and determined to run.  The forecast was calling for rain, rain and more rain.  lovely!  I met my RB at the park and ride and we headed down to the start.  It was pouring, and I was not feeling great.  Lo and behold, though, once I started to run, my sinuses completely cleared out!  It was magical!  Definitely not my best 13.1 since I hadn't properly trained, but it wasn't my slowest, either.  In fact, as we were approaching the back end of Mile 10, my RB realized she could seriously PR if she kept it up, so I told her to go on ahead without me, took a short walk break, and then tried to finish the last 2.1 the best I could.  Turns out? RB PR'ed by 5 whole minutes! Rockstar!  As much as it sucks not having a "good" race, it really is a rewarding feeling helping someone else achieve their goals.

This has been a recovery week for me, both healthwise and running, so I've been pretty lazy.  I'm doing a 5 mile run with RB tomorrow, and then next week I am going to start the FIRST program and try to PR a half marathon in May in under 2:10:00.  Next stop?  A half marathon in July in (hopefully) under 2:00:00.  We shall see!

2 comments:

  1. Hope you are feeling better soon! Great job even feeling I'll, still an accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! yes - finally feeling like my old self again!

    ReplyDelete