Pages

Thursday, March 22, 2012

FIRST training program

Hi all.  I have this not so secret half marathon goal to run a sub 2 hour half.  I'm a long way away from that right now (current PR is 2:16:10).

I've been doing some research on different training plans and found the FIRST method through a couple different people that have had success with it on the Nest health and fitness board.  so I decided to give it a go.  I'm planning on running another half marathon on May 12th, so that gives me 9 weeks in total to prepare.  Given that the first is a 10 week training plan, I'll just have to merge the first and second weeks a bit. For this race I'll be targeting a sub 2:10 race (9:52 pace which will yield in an almost 7 minute PR).  From there, I will try to train for the sub 2:00. 

I thought I was going to dread training because honestly, I haven't been feeling it lately.  I've been feeling very lazy and bored, as evidenced by my lackluster training for the lake sammamish half.  I did the first workout Monday (cross training) and then the first running workout (400m repeats) on Tuesday and it's nice to feel challenged again.  I do feel like the 20 minute warm-up is a bit overkill so I can't promise I did the whole thing, but it felt good to really push myself!

I'll keep you updated as my progress continues - hopefully I can stick with it and work won't get too crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment